Hi again,

Thank you very much for the quick help; meanwhile I think I found an answer in a post on cocoon-dev: <http://markmail.org/message/nm6bnvqztbee4s5o>. There is stated that apparently (and counter-intuitively, IMO), 'request parameters are always decoded using ISO-8859-1 ', and that consequently 'container_encoding should always be ISO-8859-1 (unless you have a broken servlet container), and form_encoding should be the same one as on your serializer.'.

And lo: changing the (over-eager?) container-encoding parameter in web.xml back to the default:
<init-param>
<param-name>container-encoding</param-name>
<param-value>ISO-8859-1</param-value>
</init-param>

...seems to do the trick!
(phew!)