Hi there,

I am currently working on a system using cocoon 2.1.11.  Using the patch
provided here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2032 I was able to
get the repeater-action widgets using the “sort-by” command to toggle between
sorting in ascending and descending order and turning sorting off.  I wanted to
add a visualizer in so that when a user clicks on the widget to perform a new
sort, an image is appended indicating which way it is being sorted.

I tried to introduce this functionality through the flow script and discovered
that this was an issue because when the client clicks on the sorting widget, it
does not communicate with the server.  I verified this by unplugging the
internet and testing both the sorting and page-navigation buttons, which all
functioned correctly without any internet connection.

This means I will need an entirely client-side solution update the
visualization as the user sorts by different fields.  I realized I could use
cookies, but this would require a lot of over head to track every widget’s sort
state as they change.

I also realized that there must be some client-side mechanism for tracking this
information already, but I don’t have any idea what it is.  Is there some sort
of client-side equivalent to the Form.getChild(String) function, or some
completely different way that I can track the widgets’  attributes’ values from
the client side.

thanks,

George Doyle