> Moving from Tomcat 5 on (presumably) an older Java to a newer version
> should not be difficult at all. Is there a reason to move to Tomcat 6
> and not all the way up to Tomcat 8? Tomcat 6 will be EOL very soon.[1]

Tomcat 6 is all that CentOS6 provides in their repos.
Sadly we no longer have the luxury of time to build stuff from scratch.

> If you are going to migrate, you may as well go all the way.

Maybe one day.

> My experience with a Cocoon-only deployment on Tomcat 5 moving all the
> way up to Tomcat 8 (I went version by version and wasted a whole lot of
> time doing so) was basically just drop the WAR file I already had into
> Tomcat's deployment directory and everything worked exactly as expected.
> (This included incremental upgrades from Java 1.5 to Java 1.8 as well).

Yes, dropping my existing cocoon.war file into the new machine works
fine, just it's slow and I'm sure the .war file is full of cruft we
never use.

> I have a relatively simple Cocoon deployment with only a few dozen
> matchers in my pipeline, and two or three separate sitemaps. I also have
> a custom RequestParameterModule, but of course that wouldn't be
> sensitive to a Tomcat upgrade.

We have 34 directories, many with subdirectories; 47 sitemap.xmaps in
all. And 15GB of XML text.

> My advice would be to put the latest Java and the latest Tomcat on a
> test server and drop your existing application's WAR in there and test
> everything. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how painless it is.

All that is done, fortunately. That part of it was never really a problem.

> As for Cocoon upgrade suggestions, others have made those already in
> this thread. Honestly, if it were me, I'd upgrade Java/Tomcat first and
> make sure everything works, and then focus on upgrading Cocoon.

If I upgrade manually to Tomcat 8 it's going to break all the directory
changes and control software setups that RH-based systems expect, which
will create work for my ops and my staff because it will be different
from all the other Tomcat servers around here. Unfortunately.

It's a pity that Cocoon has strayed so far from its original task of
serving XML via XSLT. In fact it's not at all clear to me what problem
Cocoon 3 is intended to solve. At the moment it looks more like a
development playground or sandbox for Java architects (in itself a
valuable thing; I wish there were more of them) than a production
application solving a business or social requirement. It's basically way
too much Java and nowhere near enough XML.

///Peter
--
Peter Flynn | Academic & Collaborative Technologies