From: Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
To: users@felix.apache.org
Sent: Wed, June 16, 2010 2:31:55 PM
Subject: Re: Swing Apps & OSGI...

Hello Tony,

On Jun 16, 2010, at 19:41 , Tony Anecito wrote:

> Has anyone been able to get OSGI working with java Web Start?

Yes. You can use web start to bootstrap the framework plus some kind of
launcher or management agent that understands the web start environment
(perhaps reading some configurable properties from the JNLP file, etc.) Since
OSGi needs a local bundle cache, you cannot simply use the sandboxed, unsigned
option of web start.

This management agent, when started, will then fetch the other bundles from the
server (this has nothing to do anymore with web start). You probably want to
use an algorithm to detemine a proper location for the bundle cache (that
depends on the operating system and logged in user).

> Or is there a different recommendation for intial deployment for Swing-OSGI.
> Seems like OSGI is good for after you deploy but not the model for initial
> deployment for java apps.

Probably updating components when the client application is running is not too
relevant (or even desired) in most desktop applications. Being able to use the
OSGi programming model however is.

> Web Start handles jnlp initial deployment of the java jvm where as OSGI doe
> not but does do the updates like Web Start does already.

Correct.

> I am looking for a more complete solution and it seems OSGI is not quite the
> complete solution but I am very open to constructive suggestions on how to
> achieve that using OSGI and something else.

OSGi by itself cannot bootstrap the JVM and there is no standard mechanism to
bootstrap the installation of an OSGi implementation either, but combining
JWS+OSGi definitely makes sense if you ask me.

Greetings, Marcel