Actually it depends on your Language Settings.

And LibreOffice inherited the problems from OpenOffice...

E.g. for Portuguese (European) the decimal separator is a comma(,)  but if I
prefer to use a point (because most international publications are formatted
according to US notation) when I disable the box "Same as locale setting" it
will type the point and as soon as I press enter it will convert it to a
date. This is a clear mistake since a point is not a separator in
Portugal... i.e. typing 2.3 is converted to 02-03-2010 which is value 40239