In another email I said that I had given up on using mailmerge, since the
labels never print out as you want them to.  My problem is this:

I have a laser printer, Brother HL-5340D, excellent in all ways.  I print from
a Mac running OSX 10.6.6 and LibO 3.3.1.  I use A4 sized sheets with three
columns and eight rows of labels.

Avery L7159 has the same number of labels but they are slightly different.  On
the Avery L7159 format, the labels have a small vertical margin between labels.
 On my sheets, there is no vertical margin.  This should actually be better for
my problem, but doesn't help.

What I get when I print is the first column of labels begin to print at the
extreme left margin so that a couple of letters are missing, notwithstanding
that the Avery labels don't actually extend to the extreme left margin.  The
second column starts printing in the middle of the margin between labels 1 and
2, so that the first letter comes at the extreme left edge of the label. The
same thing happens with label 3, which, additionally prints all the way to the
extreme right edge, notwithstanding that the Avery label doesn't extend all the
way to the extreme right edge, so that letters are missing from long names or
addresses which don't wrap as they should.

I have tried creating my own custom label template, but there are so many other
problems with the mailmerge system that I've given up.  For example, what I get
when I manage to get labels with the wizard is this:

Page 1 contains one row of the A's, three of them, of course, then 7 rows of
labels with field names.  Page 2 starts with the fourth name in the list and
continues "normally", as do subsequent pages.  I place "normally" in quotation
marks since the normal form of the labels is, as I said earlier, lacking
letters on each label.

If any kind soul has a custom template which they think works with labels of
this type, Avery L7159 or ones which extend to the extreme left and right
edges, and is willing to share it, I'll give them, perhaps not gold, but
undying admiration and gratitude.

But basically, I think the mailmerge system could do with a good working over.
That, or the instructions on how to use it, either manually or with the wizard.
 Fortunately my labels are only around 200, for our local gardening club, so I
can cope with doing it more or less manually, but it would be nice to be able
to automatise it.

TIA

//James