The more I reply as instructed to unsubscribe the more I get. Can you help get
my email OFF the damned list?

________________________________
From: Ryan Jendoubi <ryan.jendo...@gmail.com>
To: users@libreoffice.org
Sent: Mon, April 4, 2011 2:44:13 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] INCLUDETEXT

Hi Joe,

On 28/03/11 19:39, Joe Nierenberg wrote:
> I would like to include text from a closed file into the open file. However,
>rather than have all of the text there, reproduced in the open file, I want
>only
>the field name.  (The reason is that it is conditional text, that might not
>always be included.)  According to my searches, there is no LO Writer
>equivalent
>to MS Word's INCLUDETEXT field; there is only the menu command to insert a
>file,
>which gives the entire text.  Ideas?

I /might/ have found an answer for this. The answer came from finding out what
DDE actually stands for. From the Writer help:

  "DDE

DDE stands for "Dynamic Data Exchange," which is a predecessor of OLE, "Object
Linking and Embedding". With DDE, objects are linked through file reference,
but
not embedded.

You can create a DDE link using the following procedure: Select cells from a
Calc spreadsheet, copy them into the clipboard and switch to another
spreadsheet
and select the *Edit - Paste Special* dialogue box. Select *the Link* option to
insert the contents as a DDE link. When activating a link, the inserted cell
area will be read from its original file."

I did this, copying a footnote field from one document and paste-special-ing it
into another (Ctrl-Shift-v). While editing, the pasted field seems to contain
only the text "DDE field" but a print preview shows that it contains the proper
value.

In order to get the fields to update you have to go Tools > Update > Links
rather than Tools > Update > Fields, so F9 doesn't do it (under the default
config). Also, links sometimes appear to become disconnected (right-click >
Fields...: 'Status' column for link no longer says 'Automatic'). I haven't been
able to work out when / why exactly this happens.

I haven't tried this with conditional fields. I would be very interested to
know
if this solves your problem.

Cheers,

-r