Hi John

John Thaden wrote (30-06-11 19:48)
New user here, of LibreOffice, trying to recover a document open in
Writer when a Microsoft update auto-rebooted my computer.

Welcome here - though for a sad/mad situation.

Reopening Writer, I followed instructions on
a recovery Wizard.  An error message flashed on and then a document
appeared, but a very old version of the document.

Does not sound logic to me...

Did I lose the newer version that was up on
my desktop for hours?  Doesn't Writer autosave by default?

Save interval for autorecovery is default at 15 min.
See Tools > Options > Load/save > General

Should I start trying to recreate it from my head?

I have no idea what your computer did with the recovery file. So unless someone else comes up with better info, I would think you have to do that yes.

P.S. I'm using LibreOffice 3.3.2 OOO330m19 (Build:202) tag
libreoffice-3.3.2.2 under Windows XP service pack 3.

Thanks for the info. I find no bugs for auto recovery function however:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/query.cgi

Is it something you can reproduce (hmm ask Windows update to do it again :-\ )

Regards,
Cor

--

 - http://nl.libreoffice.org