From: Anthony Papillion <anth...@cryptofreaks.tk>
Subject: RE: [libreoffice-users] Re: Should LibreOffice even support Microsoft
secret formats?
Date: Sunday, 11 September, 2011, 21:41

> Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:33:09 +0100
> From: tomdavie...@yahoo.co.uk
>
> Hi :)
> MS don't implement their standard in the way that they wrote they would.
> Having set a standard
> anyone that follows that standard is guaranteed to produce things that are a
> little wonky when
> opened in MS Office.  LO devs work at getting LO's implementation as wonky as
> MS's but the
> wonkiness is the unknown factor.

Hi Tom,

Ok, I can accept that. But then, aren't we back to a 'secret format'? If I
implement a standard to write out a file a certain way and do it in another way
that isn't documented then I'm not following the standard and, thus, my
filetype is secret. The only way it's *not* secret is if they file is written
to the standard without any deviations.

At first, I thought 'ok, so this means MS has published a standard that other
vendors can write to and MS will has implemented that standard (in addition to
their secret one) so that MSO can always properly read other vendor created MSO
files". But that's not the case. There are times, it seems, when LibO files are
improperly rendered in MSO.

So, apparently, the 'standard' really doesn't mean anything because that's not
really what Microsoft is doing.

Anthony