Spencer sent me reproducible test cases for the two problems he has raised
here.

I have performed a conforming forensic analysis (without having looked inside
the format at all).

Here is the situation for the case of dashed lines in presentations.

CONCLUSIONS

This is a situation that has been seen in analysis on this list before.  Both
products have difficult with round-tripping into the other format and back.

 1. In the specific case that Spencer reported, it appears that LibreOffice
produces an unbroken line when saving the dashed line into an Office 97-2000
PowerPoint .PPT format.

 2. In the specific case that Spencer reported, it also appears that
LibreOffice presents an unbroken line when receiving an actual dashed line from
an Office 97-2000 PowerPoint .PPT format.

 3. Although PowerPoint 2010 will recognize the correct dashed line when
opening the ODP directly (not as a PPT), dashed lines produced in ODP format
from PowerPoint 2010 are not read correctly (as ODP format) by either
PowerPoint 2010 or LibreOffice Impress.

This is based on simple observation, without attempting any analysis to isolate
the problems more specifically.  It appears to be enough for 4 bug reports
though.  PPTX was not tested.  That may lead to more bug reports all-around.

 - Dennis

DETAILED PROCEDURE

A. Document A from Spencer: Original ODP

This is a single-slide .ODP where the only figure is a diagonal dashed line.
The dashes are relatively long and the space between the three dashes is about
the same width as a dash.  This document opens just fine in LibreOffice 3.3.2,
the one I use for production on my desktop system.
  This document also opens correctly (as an .ODP) in PowerPoint 2010.  I needed
to do a document-repair click-through because PowerPoint 2010 expects ODF 1.1
and the ODF 1.2 package from LO has unexpected XML content not defined in ODF
1.1.  But the slide opens without problems. The dashed line is correct.

X. Document X from Dennis. (PPT from the original ODP using PowerPoint 2010)

I also saved this opened ODP from PowerPoint 2010 as an Office 97-2000
PowerPoint .PPT file.  It re-opens just fine in PowerPoint 2010.

[Side Note: There is an interesting difference in the presentation of the
dashed line in PowerPoint 2010 in comparison with LibreOffice.  If I zoom the
slide larger, the sizes of the dashes and spaces between them do not changes.
Instead, the number of dashes and spaces increases or decreases as the zoom
makes the line longer or shorter. In LibreOffice Impress, the line retains 3
dashes, but their length and that of the intervening space changes as the slide
is viewed at different zoom magnifications.  I am certain that the ODF
Specification does not say anything about the visual presentation of the dashed
line.  I don't know if [MSO-PPT] does or not.  I doubt that the OOXML
specification does either, but I should check that before I perpetuate another
myth.  This is a finer-grained interoperability issue than the problem Spencer
reports.  It appears to be within the allowed discretion for implementations.]

B. Document B from Spencer. (PPT from the original ODF using LibreOffice
Impress)

This is a .PPT that Spencer made by Save As from LibreOffice Impress (just as
Document X was made by Save As from Word 2010).

Document B, when opened by PowerPoint 2010, shows a single solid line.

C. Document C from Spencer. (ODP made after opening Document B in LibreOffice)

This document is provided as confirmation that when Document B is re-opened in
LibreOffice, it also shows a single solid line.

Y. Document Y from Dennis. (ODP made after opening Document X in LibreOffice)

In LibreOffice Impress, Document X opens the same as Document B, losing the
line.  The dashed line is known to be there from the PowerPoint 2010 side, but
it turns into a solid line on input by LibreOffice Impress.  Document Y
captures the ODP of that result.

Z. Document Z from Dennis (ODP made from Document Y using PowerPoint 2010)

LibreOffice Impress opens this document and retains a dashed line, but the
dashes are much smaller and there are many of them.  At 100% these view as
intermittent long and short dashes.

PowerPoint 2010 opens this document (which it produced) and the dashed line has
turned into a solid line.