Op Ed wrote:
> Anyway, I downloaded LibO_3.4.3_Win_x86_install_multi.exe and ran it.
> Had to get "mommy" to come to my desk and authenticate as admin, but
> otherwise the installation proceeded with no errors or obvious hiccups.

I've also had trouble with administrative privileges on a Windows 7
PC.  What I've done is to bypass the whole installation process
entirely by using the portable version of LibreOffice.  It is meant to
run from a flash drive (but can run off a hard drive as well) and
therefore has no registry entries.  The advantage being that you can
have it on a PC without admin privileges.

The portable version is available from
www.libreoffice.org/download/portable/ or
portableapps.com/libreofficeportable

> Further little problem.  Not yet solved.
>
> Because the program does not appear in the programs list, it is not an
> option
> when trying to open a .odt file (or any kind of file) from the file system.
>

> That is, I cannot simply right-click a .odt file or a .docx file and click
> "Open with..." .
> The resulting list does not include LibO, so I can't select it.
>
> Is there a quick-and-dirty way to add it without tinkering with the
> Registry?

I'm curious, are you not able to select LibreOffice from the "Choose
default program..." dialogue at all?  Are you not able to browse to
the exe file(s)?

I am able to assign LibreOffice as the default for various files.
However, as there is no installation, it has no short-cuts on the
desktop or start menu or anything, would have to do those manually.

Regards
Stephan