Harold Fuchs wrote:
> I installed the new portable LO
> (http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable) on a USB stick.
> When I try to run it, it complains that there is another copy running. It
> seems that this is because OpenOffice's (non-portable) Quickstarter is
> running on the machine. Of course, OOo's Quickstarter is running for
> multiple users who happen to be logged on to the machine (Win XP Pro) so,
> although I can kill mine, I can't kill the others.

I don't know much about multiple user logins, but the behaviour you
describe is obviously undesirable.  Just as a test, you could try to
open Task Manager (Ctrl+  Shift + Esc) and kill all the LO/OOo
processes.  I don't know the name of the quickstarter process, but the
"main" process(es) is/are usually "soffice.bin" and/or "soffice.exe".
There should be a tick-box at the bottom "Show processes from all
users"; can you see the other user's quickstarter if that is ticked?

> Is it right that a *portable* version should be prevented from running by a
> mere office application (not anti virus or lock-down software or parental
> control or anything similar) installed on the machine? Is it right that a
> *portable* program should be prevented from running by some process owned by
> another *non-admin* user? Is it right that LO is interfered with by OOo? Or
> is at least one of these a bug?

I may be mistaken but as far as I know, LO and OOo are not expected to
run at the same time (so I don't think it is a bug).  But if they are
both installed on the same computer, they should both work (though not
at the same time).  Same would apply to the portable version(s).

> Why should I not be able to run LO and OOo at the same time on the same
> machine?

Anyone care to comment?

Regards
Stephan