Rich Shepard wrote:
>  In an Excel spreadsheet saved in .ods format are column pairs representing
> data that can be combined into a single column because rows have a value in
> one column or the other, but never both.
>
>  In Xess I was able to put the cursor in a cell (e.g., N2) and enter the
> formula
> '+n2+o2' and have the sum of the two columns in N2. LO doesn't like this. It
> told me to turn on iteration (error 522), but that just moved the error to
> 523.

Your formula is referencing itself.  Try typing exactly the same
formula in a different cell.  For example:
in Cell P2 type the formula '+n2+o2' and let us know if this solves
your problem.

Tom Davies wrote:
> I think the only problem is a missing = sign at the start of the formula?
>
> =n2+o2
>
> rather than +n2+o2 should do the trick

Having a plus (+) at the beginning of the formula rather than an equal
sign (=) should not be a problem (this is accepted syntax).

Regards
Stephan