I think I want to number headings by manipulating styles, but I am not sure.
I don't understand the distinctions between the three.

I want an outline system that uses styles, so that I can easily change or
modify the format of multiple headings at once.  I want it automatic in the
sense that if I create a new heading, the other headings are automatically
re-numbered (or lettered).

Does that help clarify?

Thanks.

-----
Andrew A. D. Rahn IV, ARA
RAHN LAND Inc.
Accredited Rural Appraiser
Montana Certified General Appraiser
Montana Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
P.O. Box 1013
Bozeman, Montana 59771
406-580-6882