Hi :)
There is not much point in fixing a problem when you don't know what the
problem is or where it is if there is one.  That's a bit like "pin the tail on
the donkey" but without anyone looking to see how close you got.  What if, as
it turned out, that the file/folder permissions were not the issue?  You can
chown all you want but now you don't know whether the problem has been solved
or not.

One trouble-shooting technique is to try su or sudo and if it had no effect
then you can rule out a whole bunch of stuff.  As has happened in this case.

As Graham says, what would be really nice is to find a log-file or generate
one.  Almost all commands have a "verbose" tag that does the job.  How can we
get more info about what is going wrong?