Brian Barker wrote:
At 13:42 08/09/2013 -0400, Fred James wrote:
Brian Barker wrote:
=SUMPRODUCT(B$2:B$5=E1;C$2:C$5)
so you can fill this down into F2.

Typo found :  switch the B's and C's so that the function reads:
    =SUMPRODUCT(C$2:C$7,E1=B$2:B$7)
and it works.

Er, there is no "typo", just some confusion on your part. The original formula works. You have changed the test from X = Y to Y = X and the product X x Y into Y x X. As any elementary mathematician knows, equality and multiplication are commutative, so these are the same thing: x = y and y = x are the same test; and 2 x 3 and 3 x 2 are the same value!

Brian Barker
Sorry ... yes: x=y is the same as y=x, but when testing the original function the results were incorrect. Switching the b's and c's made the function return the correct results. Assumption (on my part):
    the first part (C$2:C$5) is the column of values to be summed
    the second part (E1=) is the value we want to match in the third part
the third part (B$2:B$5) is the column/range of values to be matched by the second part
¿Sí?
So if we used column B for the first part we would be trying to sum labels/text, and if we used C in the third part, we would be trying to match labels/text to numbers?

Or did I miss something?

In any case, I must thank you for pointing to this solution ... it is great ... I really enjoyed this.
Regards
Fred James