Hi :)
You are not alone in that opinion but i can see it from other angles too.

1.  The way i see it is that LO and AOO are produced by 1 large
community.  There are quite a few people who work in both or move from
1 to the other and sometimes back again.  The mainstream press seems
to think we fight and argue constantly and that seems to have boosted
coverage for both projects.  AOO aims at a slightly different niche
from LO although both have a lot of ground in common.  It's NOT a case
of us against them.  It's both of us and others (Caligra/KOffice,
Google-docs, AbiWord&Gnumeric etc) acting in "co-operative
competition" with/against each other against a dominant market-leader.

2.  I copy&pasted one page from OOo's documentation into our own wiki
and the original author proof-read it for us.  He was more than happy
to share the knowledge and help distribute it widely.  Since then
others have made a better page and Hagar has updated his one in AOO so
'mine' has fallen quite far behind and rarely gets visited now.  I'll
set it as a redirect to the updated one someday.

3.  I agree that business people are probably unfamiliar with the
concept of co-operative competition and that it might even scare them
off from using either of LO and AOO!!  Corporate-types are often timid
when in unfamiliar terrain so it's better for us to appear to be easy
for them to understand (imo)