On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 07:25:36 -0500
Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> On 3/2/2014 1:53 PM, Jim Seymour <jseym...@linxnet.com> wrote:
> > In fact: Because some people, for some reason, feel the need to set
> > "Reply-to" to their own email address: I've a procmail rule that
> > resets those to the mailing list.
>
> That is rude and arrogant and you should *never* do that.
[snip]

That is your opinion and you're welcome to it.  Mine is that
conversations begun on a mailing list by default should stay on the
mailing list.

Years of experience on a wide variety of mailing lists has taught me
there is a subset of participants that, for whatever reason, set their
default Reply-to to themselves, then expect respondents to "Reply
All."  I rarely use "Reply All," and *never* on a mailing list.  Too
many times, in the past, I've replied, only to have to copy-and-paste
my reply into a new reply and manually set the reply to the mailing
list.

How Reply-to should be handled, or whether it's handled at all, is a
fairly frequent, and often contentious subject on mailing lists.  I've
figured out what works for me.  I leave others to their own devices.

As for the mailing list's policies: If they wish to allow un-subscribed
individuals to post, don't wish to set Reply-to or whatever: That's the
list's business, IMO.  I'll happily work within the framework they so
graciously provide me ;)

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is