Thanks for the offer, Andrew!

The original file is definitely bigger than the allowable limit. However,
when I originally tried to import it, it opened up the first third of the
file and allowed me to save it, and reopen it. However, when I tried to
save it a second time, it crashed and the file was corrupted.

I am pretty sure the problem is not that I am running out of memory. I have
24 gig on a 64-bit machine. I think the program is just buggy when you try
to run it at its absolute outside capacity limit.

So I have figured out how to open my file in R and save subsets small
enough to open more reliably.

I wish the program checked for file size and offered a sensible list of
options when it is too big, like opening the first N rows, or opening n
rows after skipping m rows, or opening a taking a p percent sample of rows.
But perhaps that is too much to hope for in a spreadsheet.

And thanks again for your thought and attention.

Warmest regards, Andrew

--
J. Andrew Hoerner
Director, Sustainable Economics Program