Hi :)
Yes, a lot of people misunderstand what dual-booting means.

It does mean keeping the original system intact and easy to reinstate
fully.  It's a bit more complicated than just installing software "onto a
computer" but not by much.  I generally recommend experimenting with some
old computer such as ones relegated to the attic or basement or stuffed
into a cupboard or found in a skip or bought from ebay for a tenner.  It is
possible to make mistakes but defaults generally tend to be designed to
protect existing systems these days.  Back in 2008 it might was a bit
different with some distros but Ubuntu and most others have always been
protective.