Hi :)
I wonder if the file is stored in some weird format such as the MS
formats?  The native ODF formats seem to work just fine :)

If it is a case of the format not working properly then it's still worth
posting a bug-report about it.  Part of the bug-reporting process is to see
if there is already a bug-report and if so then you might be able to help
by letting them know version numbers and things that might help pin-point
the problem.  This wiki-guide helps with all that;
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugReport