On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
wrote:

> At 11:45 15/11/2014 -0500, Alan Bonly wrote:
>
>> Method 2 [Select "Format|Paragraph", then the Borders tab, pick a top or
>> bottom border, ...] suffers the same disadvantage if the border is
>> specified as a bottom border. However if a top border is selected it is not
>> applied to the following paragraphs.
>>

> It will be unless "Merge with next paragraph" is ticked.

I didn't tick anything. Just selected top border and clicked "Okay".

Reviewing your comment I find "Merge with next paragraph" is ticked
already. At least on my system it is a default, Ubuntu 14.04 and LO 4.2.7.2.

Is it not ticked on your system? If so then perhaps there's a bug, or
platform or version difference. I don't generally remark on defaults unless
there's reason to suspect it may be changed.