Hi :)
Yeh, the upgrade to 3.4.0 supposedly dealt with 1 security issue and i
think there have been 1 or 2 upgrades since then that we were urged to
do as a matter of some urgency for similar reasons.  That makes about
2-4 in about 4 years.  I'm not sure if macros featured in any besides
the 1 mentioned.  I never seemed to fall foul of the problems even
though i didn't upgrade when told to, even on 'my' Windows machines.

Wrt Johnny Rosenburg's comment that macros are not 100% backwards
compatible and ancient macros might not be 100% guaranteed to work in
newer versions but it all works "pretty much".  It seems there are
changes that may affect some macros but these only happen quite a bit
less often than security issues occur in the whole program/suite.