After some investigating, I realised that the auto-correction is set up to
change -->, i.e. 2 dashes followed by the greater than sign, to the right
arrow.  As far as I can tell there is no item set up for ->.  Using the
correct combination, i.e. -->, does not cause the problem described by the
OP.

Graham