On 29.11.2016 15:29, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> Le 28/11/2016 à 23:05, Keith Barber a écrit :
>
> Hi Keith,
>
>> Thank you for this Alex.  Not sure I'm computerate enough to know the
>> difference between a JDK and a JRE.  However, I do have 2 JREs
>> installed, a 32-bit and a 64-bit.
>>
> JREs have an automatic update mechanism which checks to see whether
> you're at the latest release version, and offers to install it for you.
>
> JDKs do not have this automatic update mechanism - it is up to the user
> to go and look from time to time to see if an update is available.
>
> JDKs are the complete Java Development Kit, as opposed to JREs which are
> a Java Runtime Environment.
>
> Basically, if you have automatic updates to Java, then you have JREs
> installed.
>
> These will no longer work correctly with current release versions
> (5.2.x) of LibreOffice and Base (embedded hsqldb) files - you will need
> to switch to a JDK for that. It is also better in principle to use a bit
> version of the JDK that corresponds to the bit version of LibreOffice
> you are using. If your are using a 64bit version of LibreOffice, then
> download and install a 64bit version of the Java Development Kit
> available from Oracle.
>
> Alex

Hi Alex,

Is this an issue exclusive to the Mac edition? I am using the current
version (5.2.3 x64) of  Base on both 64bit Linux and Windows with JRE
only and have not encountered any problem. Based on the mail headers of
the previous posts in this thread, they appear to come from Windows  users.

Dave