You will find there is a difference between legibility and readability.
Legibility deals with how easily recognizable given letters are.
However, when we read, we don't read individual letters. Rather, we read
words or, more accurately, groups of words, at a time. When reading,
word shapes are more important than letter shapes.

Thus, a sans-serif typeface can be very legible, but not necessarily
readable. The serifs add visual information to word shapes. For example,
in a sans-serif type, there is little visible difference between the
word "Ill" (that's "ill" as in "sick.") and a roman numeral 3 (III).
Serifs make the two distinguishable.

So, if you're creating a street sign, a sans-serif type in all upper
case letters might be most legible, but I would hate to read a book in
ALL UPPER CASE SANS SERIF TYPE.

Likewise, Bookman Old Style is very legible, but it wouldn't be my first
choice for a novel length book. It's very legibility could work against
it for long-term reading.

If you want to dive into this world (let me warn you, it's addictive and
can feed obsessiveness), I would recommend Robert Bringhurst's excellent
book, "The Elements of Typographic Style."

Virgil