Using 5.1.6.2 on Ubuntu 16.04  Never had these problems before that I
remember.

I am using a numbered list.  Main numbering is 1, 2, 3, level 2 is a), b),
c), level 3 is i), ii), iii.

Problem 1:  when I get to 10. the title suddenly hops in a tab so that it is
not aligned with earlier titles.  In the past I have always had a little
more room between the number. and the title so that all titles are aligned.
Have fiddled about with all the settings I can think of without being able
to resolve this.

Problem 2:  When I press new line and tab, I have always hitherto hopped in
one tab so that a), b) and so on are aligned with one another, a little bit
in from the alignment of 1., 2., etc.  Now suddenly either the numbering for
this one point changes to a letter (the letter which is the equivalent of
the next level 1 number, e.g. 10 for J) at the same position as level 1
numbering or the whole numbering system changes to a) b) c) etc at level 1.
Have also experimented with several options without result.

Help gratefully accepted.  I have an idea that previously I have stated off
my list by klicking on bullets and then on numbering which I haven't done
this time.