Hi anne-ology,

I think my subject line was misleading.  My USB device is a musical
keyboard rather than an external HD.

I inherited the keyboard from my step son.  It happened to be a MIDI
keyboard.  This turned out to be just what I needed, as it tells me exactly
the note number that has been pressed, (or released), plus any movement in
the nine sliders.  I have set up the sliders to correspond to the draw bars
on a Hammond Organ.  (The draw bars determine which harmonics are used to
modify the sound produced.  A very large number of variations are
possible.)  So armed with the MIDI information, I hope to write a program
that can simulate a Hammond Organ.  Possibly a pipe dream, but time will
tell.

But to get started I need to be able to read the MIDI stream, which at the
moment is coming through a USB port.  Hence my request for any info on code
that might help help me to do that.

Thanks for your reply,

Noel
--