At 16:42 09/09/2017 +0000, Jonathon Kantoor wrote:
In the spreadsheet I'm working on, I'm trying to find the number of items that are more than 6 standard deviations from the norm. Standard deviation formula is StDev(Slant.B38:Slant.Slant.B1038)). That formula works. The obvious solution, as expressed in the formula COUNTIF(Slant.B38:Slant.B1038,>IQ_Slant.B44) does not work. Error # 510: Missing Variable. Using quotation marks for the criteria to search by (">IQ_Slant.B44") does not work. Is there a way to count the number of cells whose value is greater than the variable, when the variable is the value found in a specific cell?

Yup. Your syntax is almost right, but not quite. You need:
COUNTIF(Slant.B38:Slant.B1038;">"&IQ_Slant.B44)

You can no doubt see that COUNTIF() expects an inequality to be expressed as a text string. So ">1234" will work, but not ">A1", since that "A1" will not be seen as a cell reference. If you need to incorporate a cell reference, you need to concatenate the ">" sign with the value in the cell, which will automatically be converted to text because of the context of the reference.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker