On 04/30/2018 03:02 PM, Tim-L wrote:
> I started this thread with the notice of someone on a Facebook post
> wondering how to default to saving to MS Word format.
>
> Yes, a "crusade" to get schools to make the switch to Open Document
> Formats should be looked into.  But that is not what was implied in
> the thread I originally talked about.

I was only responding to the suggestion that the problem you were trying
to solve -- how to default to an MSO format -- was misdirected, when the
"real problem" was that schools use MSO rather than LO. When all I need
to do is get a final exam to my students in the next two days, I don't
have time for FOSS crusades.

I recall back in the day, the mantra of IT managers was that, nobody
ever got fired for buying IBM. I suspect a similar attitude exists today
with MSO.

I remember  many, many years ago when the government office where I
worked switched from WordPerfect to MS Word. The outcry from the
proficient WordPerfect users was deafening.

I can only imagine the mutiny that might result if a major institution
announced that it was switching all of its computers from the familiar
MSO to LibreOffice. Now, I love LO as much as the next FOSS user, but
that love has come from constant use since the days when it was
StarOffice. I have invested the time to learn the program and customize
it for my use with styles, templates, etc. I wouldn't fault an MSO user
from feeling completely ambushed if his employer were to declare that he
had to switch to LO.

Virgil