Thank you, all.

The .aff file is somewhat outside my comfort zone, but I’ll certainly
experiment with it.

I may have caused some confusion with my use of the word “accents,”
which I used (for simplicity’s sake) instead of “diacritical marks.”
I’m concerned with words in which the acute accent is not a temporary
mark to show accent or stress but in which áéíóú are distinct letters,
not interchangeable with aeiou. Exchanging one for the other in such a
word is therefore a spelling error.

But I think Kruno has put me on the right track, and that the ICONV
feature in the .aff file is the place to start.

Míle buíochas!