Declerck Michael-W30479 wrote:
I tried the extra --with-ldap-include and --with-ldap-lib flags, but I get the same error.
Do you think this may have to do with the environment variables CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and or LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
See my previous message for what they are set to (LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to /directory/of/previous/apache/install/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}).

I have been trying to do the apr-util recompile as listed on the http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html page.
The first step on the site (see link above) which is to compile apr, it compiles _very quickly_ (the make lasts about two lines).
Otherwise, this first step compiles without incident into the previous Apache install folder in my home directory.
I know two ways to solve this problem. I hope them would be useful for you.

1)  The first is using bundled apr and apr-util. It means that your system can't have any
previous apr and apr-util installation in /usr/local (default installation). If you have, you need to rename them.
After this, you can use all the flags that I've suggested. I recommend to use "make clean" and "make distclean"
before the new build process.

Below,  my config.nice for example. How to use bundled apr/apr-util :

#! /bin/sh
#
# Created by configure

"./configure" \
"--prefix=/www/httpd_2.2.2" \
"--enable-so" \
"--enable-ssl=shared" \
"--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl-httpd2" \
"--enable-ldap" \
"--enable-authnz-ldap" \
"--with-ldap-lib=/usr/local/lib" \
"--with-ldap-include=/usr/local/include" \
"--with-ldap" \
"$@"

Note that the three last flags tell to apr/apr-util where are the ldap libraries :
"--with-ldap-lib=/usr/local/lib" \
"--with-ldap-include=/usr/local/include" \
"--with-ldap" \

2) The second way is using external apr and apr-util installation. In this case, you can download apr/apr-util (http://apr.apache.org/download.cgi), or use the bundled sources. I've been used  the second and followed
the same document at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html. Remember that you need apr/apr-util >=
1.2 to apache 2.2.2.

Below,  the three steps that I've been used to install in this way :

a) Build and install apr 1.2 :
# cd /usr/local/src/httpd-2.2.2/srclib/apr
# ./configure
# make
# make install

b) Build and install apr-util 1.2 :

# cd /usr/local/src/httpd-2.2.2/srclib/apr-util
# ./configure \
--with-apr-1=/usr/local/apr \
--with-ldap \
--with-ldap-include=/usr/local/include \
--with-ldap-lib=/usr/local/lib
# make
# make install

c) Build and install apache 2.2.2 (httpd config.nice) :
#! /bin/sh
#
# Created by configure

"./configure" \
"--prefix=/www/httpd_2.2.2" \
"--enable-so" \
"--enable-ssl=shared" \
"--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl-httpd2" \
"--enable-ldap" \
"--enable-authnz-ldap" \
"$@"

# make
# make install

I've used in this manner without CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, LDFLAGS or LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
although I've tried to use them also in my effort when I had the same problem.

Regards,

Elaine

The second step apr-util configuration runs without incident, but during the make I get the following error:

libtool: install: error: cannot install `libaprutil-1.la' to a directory not ending in /directory/of/previous/apache/install//lib
make: *** [install] Error 1
despite the prefix flag being set to /directory/of/previous/apache/install, it seems like it is looking somewhere else. But I don't know how to tell.
I'm thinking that I should have never compiled Apache the first time with a prefix, I have a feeling this has not helped my problems.

So I tried to compile apache again (with all your suggested flags below) without the prefix. I experienced the same apr library errors during the make as listed in my previous email.
Again, I am not sure if this has anything to do with the environment variables I have set, to tell you the truth I am not really sure when or when not to use them.
The problems seem to pile on top of themselves.

I thank you for your response, if you have any further advice I am grateful to hear it.