Hi,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:15 AM Bram Mertens <bram.mert...@anubex.com> wrote:

> Our setup:
> Subversion 1.10 on RHEL8 served by httpd 2.4
> Reverse proxy httpd 2.4 on RHEL8

[snip backend errors]

> Am I correct to assume that it is the client (or something between the client
> and the proxy server) that is breaking the connection? Or is this a problem
> on either of the apache servers?

The errors on the backend suggest that the connection with the client
was aborted (downstream).
Do determine whether it happens before the reverse proxy or between
the proxy and the backend you'd have to capture traffic there
(tcpdump/wireshark to look for tcp connections reset) or use "LogLevel
trace1" on the proxy (that's the level where client network errors are
logged there).

> In the error_log of the proxy server I see errors like:
>
> [Thu Jan 14 06:42:01.647633 2021] [proxy_http:error] [pid 17204:tid
> 140412413015808] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client 192.168.x.y:38940]
> AH01102: error reading status line from remote server <backend SVN server>:443

This may be the symptom of a KeepAliveTimeout mismatch between the
proxy and the backend, which can be addressed by using a slightly
lower value on the proxy.
You could use a "ProxyPass ... ttl=[timeout]" on the proxy with
[timeout] < KeepAliveTimeout on the backend (say the KeepAliveTimeout
on the backend's vhost is 5, try ttl=3 in the proxy's ProxyPass
directive).
By doing this, you avoid the case where the proxy is reusing a
connection that is being closed by the backend at the same time
(because its KeepAliveTimeout expires), the more connections the
greater the risk of this happening..

But this is unlikely to fix the errors raised by the backend, because
those seem to happen on well established connections.
I may be missing something though, so this first step could help already..

Regards;
Yann.