On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 5:32 AM Frank Gingras <thu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Perhaps the libtool version is older/different - what happens when you remove
> the space?
>
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 12:19 PM Daga, Navin (Navin) <nd...@avaya.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to build Apache httpd RPM from the source tarball as mentioned in
>> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/install.html
>>
>> However, it always fails with the error "libtool:   error: require no space
>> between '-L' and '-R'"
>>
>> Complete Error :
>>
>>     /usr/lib64/apr-1/build/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc           -o
>> htpasswd  htpasswd.lo passwd_common.lo       -L -R -laprutil-1 -ldb-5.3
>> -lexpat
>>
>>     /usr/lib64/libapr-1.la -lpthread -lcrypt
>>
>>     libtool:   error: require no space between '-L' and '-R'

The problem here is not the space, but the fact that -L requires a
directory as an argument - like -L/usr/local/lib - and consumes the
following argument (in this case -R) instead. You'll need to figure
out why no path is included here. -R should also have a path argument,
but I would have expected -Wl,-rpath to be used instead on Linux. All
this points to the ./configure script and its friends getting very
confused. I'd recommend re-trying the build in a clean Fedora Docker
container with only the required packages (gcc, make, ...) installed
from the distribution's default repositories. Once you have a working
build, it should be easier to determine where your current problems
actually start.

Rainer