the problem we have right now in FreeBSD is described below.
        http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/ipsec/#ipf-interaction
        when IPsec tunnel packet comes in, normal ipfw/ipfilter/whatever looks
        at it twice.  once before the decapsuation, once after the
        decapsulation.  this is why ipfw/ipfilter/whatever chokes with IPsec
        tunnel settings.

>PS: about the picture / language problems, you should be able to
>reproduce the problem using the SPD rules shown in my original
>message. The topology in a picture looks like this:
>
>Remote Site A
>10.1.1.0/24 gw 10.1.1.1
>         alias 24.16.23.234 -----+         Central Site
>                                 |         10.1.0.1 gw for 10.1.0.0/24
>Remote Site B                  Internet--- 123.44.55.1 alias
>10.1.2.0/24 gw 10.1.2.1          |
>         alias 24.19.3.168 ------+

        In this case, the change mentioned in the above URL helps.  the
        equivalent change is also integrated in kame/freebsd, waiting for
        testers.  there were attempts to do the similar thing for stock freebsd
        on some of the freebsd mailing lists.
        http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/ipsec/#ipf-interaction

        in the above diagram, you don't want both NAT and IPsec happen for
        a particular packet.  for example, from remote site A,
        - a packet to 10.1.2.0/24 should go through IPsec tunnel to
          remote site B
        - a packet to 10.1.0.0/24 should go through IPsec tunnel to
          central site
        - other packets should go through NAT and go to the Internet

        so if you put filtering rules to differentiate between the three cases,
        and have a proper IPsec policy rule for the first and second,
        you should be okay.

itojun