Hi Steven,

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 21:02:12 +0100
Steven LatrŽe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a computer set-up that consists of several PC's that are chained
> together. Every PC has two NICs and they are chained like this:
> PCA (eth 1) <---> (eth2) PCB (eth1) <--> (eth2) PCC (eth1)
>
> All the addresses run Neighbour Discovery. Now suppose I want to connect
> to the address corresponding with eth2 on PCC from PCA. When I try to
> ping it, the ping request gets to PCB but then blocks (PCB doesn't
> forward the request to PCC via eth1), I suppose this happens because it
> has to "switch" from NIC.
> Is there a way to ensure that this connection can be made with Neighbour
> Discovery? So in other words that I can connect two subnetworks with the
> two NICS?

Alternatively to Mohacsi's suggestion, you could configure the middle PC
to act as a bridge (assuming the OS in question can perform bridging),
and then you then use some form of virtual interface that becomes
attached to the bridged network as the location for the IPv6 address for
the middle PC.

For example, under Linux, you'd bridge together eth0 and eth1, and then
the virtual interface that the bridge is known as becomes the IPv6 (and
IPv4) interface and identifier for the middle PC e.g.

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1

and then the virtual interface is br0, so it would end up with a link
local address assigned to br0, and if it receives an IPv6 Rourter
Advertisement on either/any of the bridge interfaces, would be assigned
the corresponding IPv6 address. The eth0 and eth1 interfaces are now
only "pure" data-link layer interfaces, so they can't be assigned
IPv4/v6/etc address (I think they technically can, however they just
don't work).

Regards,
Mark.