On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 01:44 -0400, Stephen Fulton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to set up IPv6 on my home network, and before I do so, I was
> wondering if I could solicit recommendations on an inexpensive hub or
> switch that would work for that purpose?  I've got a router, so that's
> covered.  Thoughts?

The router, which is Layer 3, is most likely the problem as that thing
should support IPv6. Switches are Layer 2, and thus only cover Ethernet
and don't care about IPv4 or IPv6.

Also as you are saying 'router', I guess you actually mean a "NAT"
gateway and not a real router, aka something that routes packets. Be
aware that when it is a NAT you will have to put it in DMZ mode when you
want to tunnel proto-41 packets over it to a machine behind the NAT.

In any case, Linksys WRT's come to mind, especially when you load them
up with DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com) or OpenWRT
(http://www.openwrt.org), these make them capable of doing IPv6 and even
setting up a tunnel to any of the various free (that is gratuit) IPv6
providers.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_Broker for a long list of the
latter.

The advantage of the WRT's is that they can act as routers while they
are also switches, so especially for the power-users that is very nice.
Oh and accidentitally they do wireless ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen