Wayne Ellis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm presently writing an IPv6/6LoWPAN stack, I've been digging around
> some of the IPv6 web reference sites looking for verified IPv6 packet
> data checksums; but haven't been able to locate any, so far.

Which checksum for which protocol?  I think AH and ICMP use different
methods to compute a error code: checksum for ICMP and ICV for AH.  OR
maybe you just meant pure checksum for ICMPv6.

> Would anybody on the list have any links to useable data ?

I'd start by rfc1071 "Computing the Internet Checksum" example code
section 4.1 "C" - I'm sure that works ok because it's an RFC.

For ICV - which auth code?  MD5?  Other?  MD5 example output is in
RFC2202 "Test Cases for HMAC-MD5 and HMAC-SHA1".

A rather quick method to check whether one's software does checksum
calculation ok is to compare to Wireshark (former Ethereal) parser.
Build a packet, insert the checksum, send it to network, watch it with
Wireshark - it will tell whether the checksum is correct or not
("Checksum is correct").  A lazy programmer would copy/paste Wireshark's
checksum code into own code, provided licensing allows.

> Ideally I'm looking for some example small packets for UDP, ICMP
> and TCP data which I can inject into my test system. Hopefully with
> intermediate checksum values so that I can verify pseudo header/data
> header and data (partial) checksums, but pointers to any references
> would be appreciated.

I would be interested if they existed.

Alex