On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 02:50:25PM +0000, Simon Crowhurst wrote:
: I am looking to utilise a Siemens SL45i device to access a web server
: hosting a MIDP application. The connection type is via a GSM WAP session
: which routes via an Alligata WAP gateway. Can anyone detail the way in
: which I need to configure my WAP gateway to provision for this?
: Currently I get the error "unsupported content type".

Hi Simon

I suspect the "unsupported content type" is an error generated by the
handset and not by Kannel.

The SL45i Java MIDP OTA process works as follows:

- User initiates a WAP (Internet) session and navigates to a JAD link

- Web server (with correct mime types configured!) sends the
  "text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor" Content-Type header for the JAD

- User confirms that he wishes to download the Java MIDlet

- User navigates to desired folder and selects "Save"

- Handset drops WAP session

- Handset initiates PPP connection to the "Java standard" connection
  (Menu -> Setup -> Network -> Dial-in Access)

- Web server sends JAD file ("text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor")

- Size of MIDlet is obtained from JAD and "ETA" displayed

- Web server sends JAR file ("application/java"), handset starts
  downloading ("Receiving" is displayed)

- When download is complete, user is prompted with "Do you want to
  start?"

- If yes, MIDlet is executed

I have tested this process with Apache web server and Kannel v1.0.3
(libxml2 v2.4.7)/Linux 6.2 i386, and it works perfectly.

I would check that you have the correct mime types set in your web
server configs:

  text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor      jad
  application/java      jar

Dominic.