You seem to be using the old AT module. this most likely a problem with some modems
that does not init properly with the default setting. using the AT2 module you can set
the CNMI settings yourself if the default does not work, and also you can enable
"sim-buffering" which will cause kannel to read SMs from the SIM memory if it was not
notified directly (note - this type of usage is no recomended).

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise mobile solutions

+972-9-9581711 (116)
+972-67-340014

::..
Our policy is, when in doubt, do the right thing.
  -- Roy L. Ash, ex-president Litton Industries