**>Subject: RE: Is it possible to set up the esm_class for Kannel?
**>Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:54:34 -0800
**>From: "Olga Rudchenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
**>To: <devel@kannel.org>
**>
**>Hi,
**>
**>Thanks so much for help! I am really stick with this problem.
**>
**>We already use Kannel but would like to expand the list of devices which
**>we use. They are going to be the J2ME phones. In this case I need to
**>send SMS with UDH and set up the esm_class to 0x40. If you know any
**>other tuning which I should to do in this case, let me know please.

Actually, setting a UDH in an SMS (via cgi parameter "udh=" for HTTP_GET,
or X-Kannel-UDH option header for HTTP_POST, or <udh>...</udh> for
HTTP_POST with xml document) will force the UDHI bit to 1 (i.e.
OR's esm_class with 0x40) on the esm_class of Kannel's SMPP client
implementation. You do not need to set it manually.

**>It would be really helpful if we can do this using XML and URL.

Message Mode (bits 1-0) are particular to SMPP.  They were
not candidates for configurable parameters because they could
not be abstracted for other SMSC implementations.

Message Type (bits 5-2) does not appear to be used by Kannel
at all.  This means that all submit_sm will have the Message Type
of 0x0 which is "Normal Message". Does anyone know if the other
two Message Types (0x8: ESME Delivery Ack and 0x10: ESME User Ack)
are actually used in the wild (maybe for ESME to respond to
a DLR request from an MO SMS)?

GSM Network Specific Features (bits 7-6) are set based on:
  1) If a UDH is present in the MT SMS via
     "udh=XXYYXXYY", X-Kannel-UDH: XXYYXXYY, or <udh>XXYYXXYY</udh>
  2) If a Return Path Indicator is present in the MT SMS
     "rpi=1", X-Kannel-RPI: 1, or <rpi>1</rpi>

Since this thread is edging towards users@kannel.org type questions,
let's continue this discussion over there.

See ya...

d.c.