To: <users@kannel.org>
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 2:04 PM
Subject: Question regarding working of smsbox and sendsms

Hello,
I am a kannel newbie who is trying to set up and configure kannel.
My configuration is as follows:
- Kannel with Cygwin on Windows.
- Smsc: smpp simulator (http://www.seleniumsoftware.com/downloads.html)

The requirement was to test the setup for both MO and MT messages.
The configuration file used is as follows:
# There is only one core group and it sets all basic settings
# of the bearerbox (and system).
group = core
admin-port = 13000
smsbox-port = 13001
admin-password = xxx
dlr-storage = internal
#status-password = foo
#admin-deny-ip = ""
#admin-allow-ip = ""
log-file = "/tmp/kannel.log"
log-level = 0
box-deny-ip = "*.*.*.*"
box-allow-ip = "127.0.0.1"
access-log =3D "/tmp/access.log"

#---------------------------------------------
# SMSC CONNECTIONS
# Connection to the smpp simulato
group = smsc
smsc = smpp
smsc-id = testsmsc
host = 127.0.0.1
port = 2775
receive-port = 2775
smsc-username = xxxxxx
smsc-password = xxxxxx
system-type = 'VMA'
service-type = test
#transceiver-mode = 1
interface-version = 34
address-range = [0-9]
msg-id-type = 0

#---------------------------------------------
# SMSBOX SETUP
#
group = smsbox
bearerbox-host = 127.0.0.1
sendsms-port = 13013
global-sender = 12345
#sendsms-chars = "0123456789 +-"
log-file = "/tmp/smsbox.log"
#log-level =0
access-log = "/tmp/smsbox-access.log"

#---------------------------------------------
# SEND-SMS USERS
#
# These users are used when Kannel smsbox sendsms interface is used to
# send PUSH sms messages, i.e. calling URL like
# http://kannel.machine:13013/cgi-bin/sendsms?username=3Dtester&password=3Dfoobar...
group = sendsms-user
username = tester
password = foobar
default-smsc = testsmsc
dlr-url = http://localhost:8080/forKannel/readDlrMask.jsp?type=3D%d&receiver=%p&reply=%A&time=%t&usr=%n&message=%a
#user-deny-ip = ""
#user-allow-ip = ""

group = sms-service
keyword = default
#max-messages = 0
omit-empty = true
get-url=3Dhttp://localhost:8080/forKannel/hello.jsp?mobileNumber=%p&text=%a

With this configuration and using the http sendsms interface, I was able to successfully send an sms and get an acknowledgement. However, when sending an sms, the get-url defined as part of the sms-service configuration was invoked. This behavior had me confused since I assumed that the get-url would only be invoked for MO messages. Can somebody help explain why this happens?
Is this expected behaviour?
Is this because the sms-service has been defined as default?

Can someone can help me understand the reason get-url gets called for MTmessages and/or the flow for MT messages using sendsms better?

Thanks,
Sindu