Okay, what you say now is a method that didn't occur to me before:

I could easily patch smppbox so that an incoming message is forwarded to
another connected client, and vice versa.

>From an architectural point of view, regarding Kannel, this is the least
interesting one. Also, logging (via sqlbox perhaps?) and a couple of other
Kannel goodies (routing) won't be available.

I would very much prefer the reroute-smsbox-id option. Even if it poses some
implementation challenges that still need to be worked out.

But after all else fails, I could come up with a patch for you (that won't
go into svn trunk) that does the trick.

== Rene