From: users-boun...@kannel.org [mailto:users-boun...@kannel.org] On Behalf Of
Tomasz
Sent: Tuesday, 10 August, 2010 22:26
To: users@kannel.org
Subject: Re: Problem with spool store - missing sms_type

Hi Rene,

I added following line after 1485 line to smppbox.c (is "case
submit_sm" section):

msg->sms.sms_type = mt_push;

to check if this time msg_type will be filled and it seems to be.
Bearerbox now see MT_PUSH as Type in admin page.

But I don't know if submit_sm is used only to send MT messages so this
is not final clear solution I think.

Tomasz

W Twoim liście datowanym 10 sierpnia 2010 (21:49:05) można przeczytać:

> Looking into the msg.c source code (function msg_pack()) it is not
> even possible for smppbox to send a message with an invalid msg->type to
> bearerbox.

> I wonder what might be wrong.

> == Rene

>>> Exactly.

>>> The point is: during normal operation, kannel of course it doesn't
>>> panic and will accept messages without a valid sms type. However,
>>> they're kept on the store with an invalid format, so if you shutdown
>>> the service with messages pending on the store, and just one of them
>>> happens to have an invalid sms type, the service panics at startup.
>>> This is less than desirable of course, specially when you have a ton
>>> of completely valid messages and just a bunch of invalid.

>>> IMHO, kannel should reject messages with invalid sms type during
>>> regular operation (with a WARN logged). It _shouldn't_ try to fix
>>> them. That would take care of the problem in a "proper" way.

>>> Apart from that, a way to discard invalid messages at bootup
>>> without panicking would also be desirable

>>> Regards,

>>> Alex

>>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Rene Kluwen <rene.klu...@chimit.nl> wrote:

>>> Yes, open smppbox should correctly fill in the correct type. If it doesn't
>>> it is an error.

>>> But at the same time: If one particular message has an incorrent
>>> sms_type. Why panic? It can just discard the message and go on with normal
>>> operation.

>>> == Rene

>>> Hi,

>>> The behaviour in store is the only correct one. sms_type could be an MO (0),
>>> MT (2) or DLR (3). Different logic and routing is applied in each case.
>>> During startup it doesn't know which one is and correctly panics. During
>>> operation, maybe bb can tell more, but I am not sure it is always safe to do
>>> so. It has to discriminate between an MT, a reroute_dlr (report_mt) and an
>>> mt_reply (from an MO). Or between an MO and a report_mo. Anyway, it should
>>> at least be consistent, and it should check for sms_type and if missing and
>>> absolutely sure it knows what it is, fill it in, else discard with an error.

>>> This is an opensmppbox issue. It should set the correct sms_type according
>>> to gw/msg.h.

>>> BR,
>>> Nikos

>>> Regards,

>>> Alex

>>> 2010/8/9 Nikos Balkanas <nbalka...@gmail.com>

>>> Hi,

>>> I can verify to the thousands of kannel users all over the wold, that smsbox
>>> doesn't have any such issue. However this seems an issue with bearerbox as
>>> well. SMPPbox should really generate correct Msg *, and bearerbox shouldn't
>>> pnick about them. I mean if it is happy processing them live, why should it
>>> panic at start?

>>> BR,
>>> Nikos
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tomasz" <ad...@impexrur.pl>

>>> 2010-08-09 17:49:55 [29887] [0] PANIC: Not handled sms_type within store!

>>> I didn't tried submitting messages to BEARERBOX from a standard SMSBOX
>>> yet, only by open SMPPBOX so I don't know at the moment if this
>>> problem happens only when using open SMPPBOX.

>>> @Nikos Sorry for adressing you private, it was my mistake.

>>> Tomasz

>>> Please address list.

>>> I didn't know that opensmppbox has now a queue. Clearly you shouldn't have
>>> overlapping spools between bb and openssmppbox. Configure different spool
>>> areas for each one.

>>> BR,
>>> Nikos
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tomasz" <ad...@impexrur.pl>

>>> Tomasz

>>> W Twoim liΞ’ cie datowanym 9 sierpnia 2010 (18:34:44) moΞž na przeczytaΞžΒ¶:

>>> Hi,

>>> You have a corrupted SMS in your spool. Remove it and you will be fine.

>>> BR,
>>> Nikos
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tomasz" <ad...@impexrur.pl>

>>> Hi,

>>> Today I've found some critical error with kannel spool store-type.
>>> When I have messages in a queue (spool) and restart Bearerbox I get
>>> Panic:

>>> 2010-08-09 17:49:55 [29887] [0] PANIC: Not handled sms_type within store!
>>> 2010-08-09 17:49:55 [29887] [0] PANIC:
>>> /usr/local/sbin/bearerbox(gw_panic+0x14b) [0x487f5b]
>>> 2010-08-09 17:49:55 [29887] [0] PANIC: /usr/local/sbin/bearerbox
>>> [0x419721]
>>> 2010-08-09 17:49:55 [29887] [0] PANIC: /usr/local/sbin/bearerbox
>>> [0x419144]
>>> 2010-08-09 17:49:55 [29887] [0] PANIC: /usr/local/sbin/bearerbox
>>> [0x419166]
>>> 2010-08-09 17:49:55 [29887] [0] PANIC: /usr/local/sbin/bearerbox
>>> [0x419689]
>>> 2010-08-09 17:49:55 [29887] [0] PANIC:
>>> /usr/local/sbin/bearerbox(main+0x80f)
>>> [0x40f22f]
>>> 2010-08-09 17:49:55 [29887] [0] PANIC:
>>> /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0x7f5cdfd3b1a6]
>>> 2010-08-09 17:49:55 [29887] [0] PANIC: /usr/local/sbin/bearerbox
>>> [0x40db09]