Hi all,

In last few months we have been facing an issue with amount of opened files
(file descriptors) for smppbox daemon.

When the amount of opened files come to specific value (4850 opened files)
smppbox is being stuck and only restart of could help. The most of opened
files are used by Kannel daemons (bearerbox and smppbox).

We use commercial version of smppbox - 1.8.207-meta-r4019 and patched
bearerbox version with some custom patches and changing value of
MAX_LOGFILES parameter.

Ulimits are configured as following (for user Kannel):

$ ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 120242
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
open files                      (-n) 500000
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 120242

Below is some other system settings related to that:

$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
  4448    0       1529806

$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
 1529806

$ ps -u kannel
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 3762 ?        02:03:18 smppbox
 8522 ?        00:00:00 bearerbox
 8523 ?        00:27:05 bearerbox

The error I noticed before smppbox being stuck is:

*> Max instances reached or expired, binding denied!*

All the solutions I found on the internet didn't help at all.

Could you please shed a light on possible solution?

Thank you in advance.
----
Best Regards,