Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2023 at 4:45 PM
From: "Johnny Rosenberg" <gurus.knu...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Odd "soffice --convert-to xlsx" behaviour when
called from shell script

If I do:

    soffice --headless --convert-to xlsx /home/me/sheets.ods --outdir
/home/me/tmp

from the command line everything works fine:

func=xmlSecCheckVersionExt:file=xmlsec.c:line=188:obj=unknown:subj=unknown:error=19:invalid
 version:mode=abi compatible;expected minor version=2;real minor
version=2;expected subminor version=25;real subminor version=26
    convert /home/me/sheets.ods -> /home/me/tmp/sheets.xlsx using filter : Calc
Office Open XML

When I do it, it says that I need to install libreoffice-common, I guess from
the repositories. However I have LibreOffice installed, but not my
distribution's version, so I have to type libreoffice instead of soffice. Not
important,

So why even bring it up? Given that I said that it worked from the command line
*why even bring it up*?

So already when doing it directly from the terminal emulator, the result is
totally different. No error=19:invalid version or anything like that.

"from the command line everything works fine". I have little interest in
whether some version of something I know nothing about is invalid, given that
it does what I expect regardless. If I was interested then I'd have brought it
up in my post.

 However, if I do the same thing from a shell script

    $(soffice --headless --convert-to xlsx /home/me/sheets.ods --outdir
/home/me/tmp )

I get this:

func=xmlSecCheckVersionExt:file=xmlsec.c:line=188:obj=unknown:subj=unknown:error=19:invalid
 version:mode=abi compatible;expected minor version=2;real minor
version=2;expected subminor version=25;real subminor version=26
    convert /tmp/magick-245771VE8simr9bq5 -> /tmp/magick-245771VE8simr9bq5.pdf
using filter : calc_pdf_Export

I have no idea why it should randomly decide to do anything with PDF.
Quite aside from this, the script then hangs waiting for soffice(?) to
finish, which it never* does.

This didn't happen here. I got the exact same result as mentioned above.

    $ soffice -h | grep LibreOffice
    LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 00m0(Build:3)

That might explain it. That's a super old version. As far as I know, a lot of
work have been put into the conversation features since then.
Your version was released 2017-12-23. That's almost six years ago.

Big deal.