Von: John Kaufmann <kaufm...@nb.net>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 7. September 2023 13:03
An: users@global.libreoffice.org
Betreff: Re: [libreoffice-users] Labels and Business Cards: where are user
definitions stored?

On 2023-09-07 04:37, Regina Henschel wrote:
> John Kaufmann schrieb am 07.09.2023 um 05:33:
>> Under Writer, Labels and Business Cards are substantially identical
>> functions: a page array of frames (optionally linked?) to serve as
>> containers for printable data (text or images). [For labels, the data are
>> typically (though not necessarily) entered via fields defined from a
>> database.] Though these forms might be regarded as templates, they are not
>> under the Templates manager. For several reasons, it would be nice to manage
>> them more effectively, as a forms library. I would elaborate the reasons,
>> but don't want to lengthen this post before getting to some basic
>> information, like: Where are these definitions stored?
>
> When you save them with "Save" on the "Format" tab of the wizard, you get a
> node in the registrymodifications.xcu
> Example:
> <item oor:path="/org.openoffice.Office.Labels/Manufacturer">
>    <node oor:name="Regina" oor:op="replace">
>      <node oor:name="Label0" oor:op="replace">
>        <prop oor:name="Name" oor:op="fuse">
>          <value>PrivateTemplate</value>
>        </prop>
>        <prop oor:name="Measure" oor:op="fuse">
> <value>S;8500;5500;8400;5399;499;499;2;5;21001;29799</value>
>        </prop>
>      </node>
>    </node>
> </item>
Thank you. Once again you read the lengthy question carefully and reply
precisely on point; that is a gift.
I found your pointer to the people.freedesktop.org documentation on the
registry, and much other good background. It is somewhat reassuring that these
definitions are also regarded as a kind of template, even if not managed under
the Templates manager.

I had noticed registrymodifications.xcu when I made labels changes, but then
discounted it, because it is rewritten every time LO closes. OTOH,
pack\registrymodifications.pack always changes with labels definition changes,
but not every time LO is used, so I thought registrymodifications.pack must be
where the labels definitions are stored. Documentation on that relationship
seems less available.

This will obviously require study, and now I can see a couple more intermediate
steps needed to get to my goal of a labels forms library. So must become yet
another addition to my to-do list if I am to get anything else done today.
Still, you have once again supplied the framework for that study, so I am once
again in your debt.

Kind regards,
John