El lun, 19-02-2024 a las 19:34 -0800, Tom escribió:
> On 2/19/24 6:54 PM, Joe Conner wrote:
> > I use Ubuntu 22.04lts and the latest Ubuntu depository Libreoffice.
> >
> > LibreOffice does not recognize my installed printers.  How do I
> > force
> > availability of Libreoffice to use my printer? When I try to print
> > only "generic printer" is available. I have a Canon laser
> > MFP743Cdw,
> > an HP laserjet M402dw, and an HP officejet pro 8025.
> >
> > Each can be used when printing a .pdf using the Document Viewer
> > software so I export my word document to .pdf and print using the
> > Document Viewer. This kludge work-around works, but i think the
> > best
> > scenario is for LibreOffice to recognize my printers as it formerly
> > used to do.
> >
> > I appreciate any suggestions.
> >

> How does Ubuntu, itself, recognize the printer?

To expand on Tom's point, in Linux CUPS handles the printing, not the
individual programs, that would make the question one for Ubuntu.

That said you described the printers as "installed," meaning they are
visible/listed in whatever printer settings are available in Ubuntu or
directly via CUPS in your browser (usually https://localhost:631, user
"root" and root password to access).

If you see them in CUPS/Ubuntu settings, try restarting in test mode
(don't recall the English at the moment, but available from the Help
menu), and/or shutting down LO and renaming your profile directory
"~/.config/libreoffice" (e.g., add ".bad" or ".old" or whatever you
like). When you restart, LO will create a new directory. If LO then
sees the printers, it means that your old profile was corrupted for
some reason. (It happens from time to time.)

If the profile is the problem, you will need to go through all your
settings again. You may be able to copy some elements (e.g., templates)
from the old directory to the new to save a little work.

If the profile is not the problem, you can erase the new directory and
change the old directory name back to "libreoffice."