On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 11:32 AM Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallag...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 2022-12-11 at 09:21 -0500, Javier Perez wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have a problem. Oftentimes when I press the button on my KVM to
> > return to
> > my desktop and Fedora 36, the screen is black and unresponsive.
> > I have to log in through SSH and restart lightdm (systemctl restart
> > lightdm)
> > Problem is that it resets my sessions and some programs like cura do
> > not
> > like that and even trash their configuration files.
> > Looking through the system log I do not see any problem at the time I
> > made
> > the switch back to the desktop.
> >
> > 1. How can I troubleshoot why sometimes I can come back and
> > othertimes I
> > cannot?
> > 2. Is there any less destructive way to recover the display than
> > restarting
> > lightdm?
> >
> > I do not have that problem with my other computer, but then,  I use
> > it as a
> > fileserver and it does not have that many programs installed.
>
> I don't know if this is relevant, but how is the KVM connected to the
> display? I had one that would remove the HDMI signal on inactive
> display inputs, even when they were physically connected, which made
> the system think the display was turned off. I replaced it with one
> that keeps a live signal on all connected ports and haven't had a
> problem since.

I think it most be removing the HDMI signal. Each I switch out, I start
getting the following messages on the journal

Dec 10 02:32:04 pepewin.localdomain kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0:
Unable to read EDID for display device ViewSonic VA2446 Series (VGA-0)
Dec 10 02:32:14 pepewin.localdomain kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0:
Unable to read EDID for display device VGA-0
Dec 10 02:32:25 pepewin.localdomain kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0:
Unable to read EDID for display device VGA-0
Dec 10 02:32:35 pepewin.localdomain kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0:
Unable to read EDID for display device VGA-0
Dec 10 02:32:45 pepewin.localdomain kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0:
Unable to read EDID for display device VGA-0
Dec 10 02:32:55 pepewin.localdomain kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0:

--
 /\_/\
 |O O|  pepeb...@gmail.com
 ~~~~     Javier Perez