Hi there,
some thoughts on that:

On 09.01.2013 17:09, arag...@dcsnow.com wrote:

Data loss
this is a matter of backup strategy, you mean availability here?
Cost
Speed

I am currently considering some less expensive storage arrays using
4TB SAS disks in 5+1 RAID 5 configurations (each array would be
responsible for 10 such volumes).

afaik the biggest SAS disks are 900GB, you mean NL-SAS? Even with the 4TB disks (which I would not recommend since they are ridiculously overpriced compared to 3GB) in RAID + Hotspare we're talking ~300 Disks here. How do you plan to house, connect, power and monitor them?

Now I would like a 3rd level of protection and I thought about using
GlusterFS. If I read it right, it would duplicate the data in a way so
that it doesn't reside in a single place.

so you want a redundant storage system? Over what link would you plan to sync the two storages? This sound all very ambitious to me. Maybe you should consider buying an entry-level or even mid-range storage system like IBM DS3512 or similar...

Thanks!
regards
Jens